South of Market
• Two 10-story buildings and one six-story building.
• Architectural precast concrete panels embedded with amber thin brick.
• First-floor panels faced with gray/green Brazilian Verde Maritaca granite.
• Inserted aluminum channels through certain floors on the horizontal and vertical break down the facade of punched windows fitted with low-E glass.
• Brick runs edge-to-edge on panels in a running bond finished with rake joints.
• Windows were deeply inset with L-shaped thin bricks completing the recesses.
• Soldier courses set off the tops of the windows, which are decorated with metal sills
Architectural Precast Elements:
Developers of the South of Market complex in Reston, VA, wanted to evoke the spirit of an elegant East Coast town that developed over time, with major brand retailers and high-profile tenants. To achieve that, designers specified architectural precast concrete panels to tie the various activities together while creating aesthetic diversity.
The 650,000-square-foot speculative office and retail complex features two 10-story and one six-story building, each with ground-floor retail and office above. They sit atop a, two-level, below-grade parking structure, and read as one building.
To provide contrast with two precast concrete towers across the street, an amber thin brick was embedded into the panels. On the first floor, a gray/green Brazilian Verde Maritaca granite serves as the backdrop for branded retailer space on three sides of each building; the fourth side accommodates delivery loading and entry.