Westin Alexandria/Jamieson Condominiums
Architectural Precast Elements:
• 465,000 square feet.
• Architectural precast concrete wall panels in several finishes used to clad building.
• Top floors use lightly sandblasted panels with finessed edges to give the appearance of curvature to sides.
• Vertical fins of glass fiber reinforced concrete (GFRC) separate each residential unit.
• Casting the panels at the precaster’s factory under controlled conditions improved quality control and minimized site congestion.
• Finish techniques provide distinctive detail touches to panels.
• Precast concrete panels work with full-thickness bricks to add dimension while providing strong support and fast erection of façade.
• GFRC overhangs on top floor and other cornice details add visual interest.
Situated in a historic area, the 15-story Westin Alexandria condominiums and hotel needed to fit into its neighborhood of gardens, shops and restaurants. To provide an aesthetically pleasing design, architectural precast concrete panels clad the façade in a variety of finishes.
The building combines a 315-room hotel, 79 residential condominiums, below-grade parking, and street-level retail. The newcomer’s scale and silhouette were carefully crafted.
The building is anchored with a precast concrete corner that serves as the hotel’s main entryway, which presents the image of a tower continuing two stories above the building’s brick walls which descend wedding cake-fashion.